Terms of Reference
Project Coordinatior (Energy)
Post Title: Project Coordinator (Energy)
Project Name: SDI Energy Justice (encompassing Solar PV and Cleaner Cook stoves)
Duty station: Jinja and Kampala
Duration of Appointment: 6 months with the possibility of Extension
Expected Starting Date: As soon as possible.
In application please submit the below by 28 July 2017.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Expression of Interest (EoI) including personal profile and reference project for last 3 year
As an affiliated support organisation of SDI, ACTogether has an on-going energy justice programme which includes 2 distinct streams: (1) Solar PV (2) Cleaner Cook stoves. This programme is aimed at delivering outcomes at household, settlement, city, and national levels through a bottom-up project process that puts Federated communities of the urban poor at the centre of development in their settlements.
The energy justice programme aims to improve access to clean, efficient, safe, and cost effective energy technologies that address the wide ranging manifestations of energy poverty amongst the urban poor. Projects aim to be sustainable in the broadest sense. Projects should at minimum deliver learnings and set precedent for community delivery, and ideally demonstrate the ability to recover cost or generate income for country urban poor funds should they scale.
ACTogether and SDI wish to recruit qualified Project Coordination capacity to anchor this work in Eastern Uganda. He / she will provide services in project management, planning, implementation, and relationship building with a focus on energy. In the case that the duration of the contract is extended these responsibilities will extend to field monitoring and evaluation or projects and knowledge transfer.
Incremental Energy Service Delivery – Benchmark Municipality
Energy as a basic service targeted at slum households and specific public services within a municipality in Eastern Uganda is the site of the intervention. Specifically the introduction of small scale solar home systems (SHS) to households and solar street lighting for illumination of public open space will be the modality. The delivery of basic electricity to the settlement falls under a larger community-led settlement upgrading project.
This model of energy service delivery is envisaged to be precedent setting in terms of a hybridised approach to settlement service delivery whereby community structures, organised and capacitated around energy service delivery, deliver and co-finance a basic energy service in partnership with the local Municipal Council and other selected stakeholders.
The overall outcome will aim to demonstrate a precedent setting model of sustainable renewable energy service delivery which delivers benefit across the value service delivery value chain – from household to community to local government.
Scope of the work:
Project Coordinator will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Prepare and manage project documentation, proposals, timeframes, schedules and budgets
- Management of project delivery
- Play an anchor role in coordinating and information sharing with the SDI Projects team (point of contact)
- Coordinate activities, resources, equipment, and information
- Facilitate dialogue between the project Executive, SDI, and external partners to define the project requirements, scope and objectives
- Monitor and track project progress, report upstream, and handle any issues that arise
- Create and maintain necessary project documentation, plans and reports
- Use project management tools to monitor budget, plans, and money spent
- Report and escalate issues to management as needed
- Play a lead role in researching and building relationships with project suppliers
- Oversee the production of reports on workshops and field visits, minutes of meetings, and others
- Represent ACTogether and SDI in any project related meetings or forums as may be assigned by the superiors
- Liaise with the other program staff of ACTogether to discuss possible synergies and linkages between the solar justice projects and the other ongoing projects
- Performing other relevant duties as required.
Specific project outputs are expected to include:
Output 1: Institutional and operational models detailing a public-private-community approach to basic energy service delivery
Output 2: Systems, policies, and procedures governing the rollout of Output 1
Output 3: Development and registration of a community based entity (e.g. Limited Community Cooperative) capable of and responsible for elements of last mile operations including technical installation and cost recovery
Output 4: Identification of suitable technical partners to supply the project. Including strategic leveraging of operational support.
Output 5: Installation of approximately 600 household solar home systems and street lighting.
Reporting, Supervision and Performance Evaluation
- The Project Coordinator will report to the SDI Programme Officer – Energy and Executive Director, ACTogether Uganda.
- He/ She will work closely with the SDI Energy Programme Officer and relevant departmental staff at ACTogether, National Slum Dwellers Federation of Uganda, and the municipal technical staff.
- Performance will be evaluated by SDI Projects, in consultation with the Executive Director of ACTogether-Uganda.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate the following
- A strong understanding of the Ugandan overall energy market and in particular of the Solar PV market. Contacts to some of the potential stakeholders will be advantageous
- Experience and proven commitment in working with local communities / grass-roots Organisations
- Experience in working with local government
- Strong analytical and project management skills
- Technical (PV technology), Financial (business development), Project Development, and Development (community work) skills
- Experience in consulting, management of multi-stakeholder processes and facilitation of workshops/stakeholder consultations.
For further information please contact:
David Sheridan, SDI, Programme Officer – Energy
Kakaire Waiswa, ACTogether, Projects Officer